October 16, 2019, 01:51:28 PM

Author Topic: Pedro Martins - Head Coach  (Read 2569 times)

Red Legacy

Re: Pedro Martins - Head Coach
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 01:05:24 PM »
The improvement continues to be there. If yesterday's cup game is any indication, maybe podence has finally found his scoring feet.

It's a shame that Bouchalakis got injured and we didn't really get to see Soldano in the striker position.

In both areas where we were in dire need of augmentation, we brought in players to address the situation. Masouras looks pretty decent so far and the opportunities continue to come.

Looking forward to the rest of this season and in the near term to Dynamo Kiev.

kru

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:02 PM »
Have to say... the direction of Martins has been quite impressive.   He made some errors early on but the team has gelled as the heat has worn on.  Hopefully he can continue this progress and stay with the club for a few years.

Red Legacy

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 07:32:49 PM »
Martins is staying. Needs to finish the season out strong. It would be a miracle if Paok dropped a couple more games and we steal the title.

At the very least, we have a shot at CL ball next year.

Building from what we got right this year, we have a solid midfield(assuming Guilherme and Camara stay) and decent attacking support.

Striker position probably needs to be blown up again.

Inferno7

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2019, 02:07:38 AM »
If he drops more games I can see him being shown the door at seasons end.
He’s definitely under pressure because many of the games that we have dropped are due to his decisions (lineup, systems etc etc) .
He is also responsible for bringing in many of the players that have come and flopped.
Modesto and Karembeu  are also far from safe for next season.
Olympiacos is a club with a DNA of WINNING the domestic title. The fans are sick and tired of the constant turnover of players . I’m not saying we shouldn’t sell our better players  for a healthy profit but I don’t want us just buying players with the inetention of selling them for  a big profit which has been the case in recent years. We need to build a solid core .
ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ ΔΕΝ ΓΙΝΕΣΑΙ.......ΓΕΝΝΙΕΣΑΙ
Mονο περηφάνια  νοιωθω που γεννηθηκα ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ

Kozani5

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 05:06:29 PM »
4 choices for next year

1. keep him, spend no money once again

2. keep him, actually spend money and bring in players

3. boot him, spend no money

4. boot him, spend money

lately we have done option 3 over and over. for a change i say try option 2, for a guy who hasn't been perfect but seems to know his stuff.

kru

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »
Assuming we sell nobody of importance I say option2.  Spend money on two spots:
- CB (unless Engels returns)
- striker

I could live with the rest of the roster.  Another strong DM would be my third pick as we need someone to impose some physicality if needed. 

kru

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 03:50:48 PM »
I know social media means little but check out the replies on this post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Buo3ihYAt03/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=qyztyuuqi955

Red Legacy

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 06:51:09 PM »
I gotta say the fans in Greece perplex me sometimes.

ALthough I'm inclined to agree that he needs to stay, the same fans chased out Jardim when we had an undefeated season coming off of a domestic double.... I'll take it though. If it means we have a semblance of stability at head coach.

As far as the roster goes, the finances are great and we can easily justify a larger expenditure to sure up the team. Personally, I would still blow up the striker position. None of these strikers(save Soldano until we see a little more of him) inspire confidence in me.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:55:26 PM by Red Legacy »

Red Legacy

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
Very interesting personal reflection by Martins on how he has gotten to be where he is.

Also lends some insight on his coaching style and experiences.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/pedro-martins-olympiacos-maritimo/

Olympiakos_nyc

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2019, 01:44:59 AM »
We had major trust in Martins and rightfully so till this match.

He threw everything away!

The only changes that should’ve been done was Camara for Bouchalakis and Even Lavera for Masouras if he wanted to be cute.

Meriah should’ve been bench since Tottenham game.

Martins didn’t make any rotational changes till Today and drastic one.

I don’t get how these stupid things still happens at our club.

Honestly I’m so disgusted to the point of firing him now but that’s stupid and will make things worse.
Unless I see us progressing in knockout stages or a strong Europa run with obvious Prothalima I don’t want Martins Back.

Red Legacy

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »
The tactics worked until the red card. There's only so much you can do when you're a man down.

He threw nothing away, we were up 1-0 before the red card and red star had a single shot on target. until 60 minutes!

I agree that I wouldn't have overhauled the lineup, but it was working until the red card.

It was not his normal behavior to change so drastically for Europe, but he did just get reamed for not rotating which saw us draw a derby. Again, this lineup was winning and dominant before the red card.

If we win the league and don't even qualify for Europa league, that's still an improvement from the last season...in which case we definitely do not get rid of him.....  Europa league was always our more realistic goal out of this group. He still has the chance for it.

Olympiakos_nyc

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2019, 02:35:02 AM »
Aside from the madness of a drastic change in the lineup.

He never reacted to the stupid Red card.

He should’ve subbed EL Arabi for Guerrero or no striker and pack the midfield.

He’s so slow to changes or adjustments.

He’s a taverna manager

Inferno7

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2019, 03:24:04 AM »
The match away to Aris is a very important one for him and the club. A stuff up there and the knives will be out.

ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ ΔΕΝ ΓΙΝΕΣΑΙ.......ΓΕΝΝΙΕΣΑΙ
Mονο περηφάνια  νοιωθω που γεννηθηκα ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ

Red Legacy

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »

He never reacted to the stupid Red card.

He should’ve subbed EL Arabi for Guerrero or no striker and pack the midfield.

He’s so slow to changes or adjustments.

He’s a taverna manager

He did react to the red card, he brought on our best playmaker...Podence. He thought we could grab a 2nd goal and pack it in which we almost did. We had 2 misses on their goal with just the keeper to beat before they scored their first. Then, directly after the first goal he brought on another defender in Omer for Masouras to hold the draw. That wasn't enough to keep mistakes from Meriah and Bouchalakis that led to two more goals.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you here. Who has been one of our greatest producers this season and last season? Podence. Guerrero has been finishing well this season. Subbing on El Arabi would have done nothing for us without someone to provide him service. Masouras has not been that type of player for a month....and Lovera is young but still very raw. Podence was the best shot we had.

I will agree that he can be quite slow with changes and adjustments, especially in the Pao game. I knocked his choices before the match, but when we were even strength the game was ours. His adjustments also came right after each event. Sub came after red card and another after their first goal. You can argue he made the wrong adjustment, but not that he was too slow in this game.

Martins is a taverna manager? This is painfully wrong and ignorant. Martins is the only Olympiacos coach in the last decade to get above 70 points during the season and not win the title. He took a team in shambles whose coach left over night and built it from the ground up. Sure, last season there were some slow changes made, but he tinkered with every possible midfield and CB combination we had, rotated strikers, wingers, etc. During the winter transfer we even tried to address those areas. When that didn't work we addressed it over the summer.

You want to talk Taverna managers? Hasi, Clooney, Victor Sanches are Taverna managers. Not someone who loses his first game of the year in October.......

I will agree with Inferno about Aris. One of my biggest issues with Martins is how poorly we perform during derbies. He needs to win against Aris this week or things will be bleak for him.