November 22, 2019, 10:46:09 AM

Author Topic: Kostas Fortounis - Attacking Midfielder  (Read 71914 times)

Red Legacy

Re: Kostas Fortounis - Attacking Midfielder
« Reply #570 on: February 19, 2019, 04:20:57 PM »
i think you are pretty harsh on him, or you have very high standards. granted i had class and had the game on the laptop so i am by no means saying you are wrong but i just noticed it a little bit ...

against dinamo he played with an injection, no? got a very nice assist on some hold up play, and from what i can tell dinamo knows our team runs through him and was physical with him. yes he dives and it gets frustrating but i don't think it was an awful performance like you make it out to be.

the missed chance also wasn't as easy as you are painting out to be. he rounded the keeper nice and on his weak foot with the defender getting back very quick he hit the post. podence missed similar one that probably was easier. should he score, yes, is it a wtf miss, not at all imo.

he has had a very good year, also had a few clutch moments like the penalty against milan and the goals today. and if we are to go through in ukraine, he will probably need to put in a performance and if we don't people are going to be on his ass.

he isn't a superstar, he is just a good talented player with strengths and weaknesses, he isn't going to make the diff every derby and every big game, but he wins enough matches where i think it is  reasonable to say he has been a very successful signing and player.

I don't think he played awful against Dinamo personally, his diving has been irritating for me for a few years now.

As for derbies, he isn't notorious for being not productive in them because it's a fun thing to make up. He just isn't. Maybe it's the atmosphere, maybe the pressure gets to him, who knows. I'm happy we got a great second half out of him, but let's not act like the second half he put Olympiacos on his shoulders and won the game. If we can say that about anyone, it was Camara and Guilherme. From start to finish those two fought and created.

What we saw was what we SHOULD see from Fortounis in a derby. The team has been built around him for this reason. If we can't get the best out of him then what good is he to us?

That being said, he has had on the whole a great season. He has the makings to be something greater for us. I believe it's more of a mentality thing.

Kozani5

« Reply #571 on: February 19, 2019, 11:30:25 PM »
very valid criticism i think inferno and RL, he certainly isn't in the class of ribo/chori and he isn't the best in derbies and his body language sucks, although i think he often creates plenty of chances and i do actually think he is good in europe.

i just ask, who over the last couple of years, which of our attackers is better than he is? look at the shit we bring in. and even some of the players i like such as lazaros aren't on his level. does anybody actually think lazaros is better than him btw, i am shocked at the love he gets while the crap fortou gets. i like both but clearly fortou is vastly superior, no? thats why i think our managers pretty much lean on him from silva to martins, and opposing managers talk about him being the key. they can't all be dumb.

in fact in many games especially in europe i am just in shock how he is literally the only player that takes positives touches, slaloms through defenders while getting the ball in precarious spots, in which all the others shit their pants. this is so clear he does what the others cant

we always say his negatives, but i am just trying to bring out some of his positive.

Attilio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2019, 04:36:53 AM »

Inferno7

« Reply #573 on: February 21, 2019, 12:35:58 AM »
very valid criticism i think inferno and RL, he certainly isn't in the class of ribo/chori and he isn't the best in derbies and his body language sucks, although i think he often creates plenty of chances and i do actually think he is good in europe.

i just ask, who over the last couple of years, which of our attackers is better than he is? look at the shit we bring in. and even some of the players i like such as lazaros aren't on his level. does anybody actually think lazaros is better than him btw, i am shocked at the love he gets while the crap fortou gets. i like both but clearly fortou is vastly superior, no? thats why i think our managers pretty much lean on him from silva to martins, and opposing managers talk about him being the key. they can't all be dumb.

in fact in many games especially in europe i am just in shock how he is literally the only player that takes positives touches, slaloms through defenders while getting the ball in precarious spots, in which all the others shit their pants. this is so clear he does what the others cant

we always say his negatives, but i am just trying to bring out some of his positive.

What I’d like to see is the team not base the lineup only around Fortounis. If he’s not playing well I want to see a system change , even go to a 4-4-2 .
Right now, it appears that we are too reliant on Fortounis and playing the current system because that’s the only one he fits into.
Let’s see if he can step up in Kiev and play a leaders role .
ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ ΔΕΝ ΓΙΝΕΣΑΙ.......ΓΕΝΝΙΕΣΑΙ
Mονο περηφάνια  νοιωθω που γεννηθηκα ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ

Kozani5

« Reply #574 on: February 21, 2019, 12:41:41 PM »
its not because its the only system he fits in, its because the manager feels it is the best system. otherwise he wouldn't play.

Red Legacy

« Reply #575 on: February 21, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
It is the best system because when Fortounis is playing at a high level, we open the floodgates on opposing teams. The system is built to flow through him, especially since we have not had the best luck with our wingers.

That is why when he has a bad game it is so noticeable, especially if our wingers are not super productive.

We can't expect Camara/Guilherme to shoulder that burden every derby or big game where Fortounis disappears.  Short of scoring themselves(which Camara has done from distance repeatedly), we need the entire team playing well to compete at the elite level.

What inferno is saying is that we have a lot of our eggs in Fortounis's basket when we play the 4-2-3-1. When we play the 4-4-2, Camara/Guilhereme become the outlets and we get better use out of Guerrero and Soldano. We also have more pieces to plug into those areas.

We don't have a #10 on this team besides Fortounis.

Inferno7

« Reply #576 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:52 PM »
Another mediocre display from him in a derby against the Green rabbits.
Another open goal missed where he rounds the keeper and shoots well wide of an empty net.

Red Legacy

« Reply #577 on: March 30, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »
Fortounis wants to stay this summer. He refuses to be sold unless it's to England/Spain, etc.

On the whole, I think we've seen a lot of what we want from Fortounis. Now we just need him to perform better in derby games. Question is, do we sell him if offered 20 million?

I'm inclined to say yes to that money and roll a 4-4-2.

Red Legacy

« Reply #578 on: July 11, 2019, 03:17:11 PM »
Well it looks like Fortounis may have just endured a major knee injury that would keep him from playing this season.

kru

« Reply #579 on: July 11, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »
Confirmed.  ACL.  He will have surgery.  This really sucks.

Inferno7

« Reply #580 on: July 11, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »
6-8 months . I think we can safely say he won’t be helping us this season.