November 22, 2019, 12:07:33 PM

Author Topic: Olympiacos Roster Analysis / Proposals  (Read 48685 times)

Antegeia7

Olympiacos Roster Analysis / Proposals
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:38:09 AM »
I couldn't find a topic like this one or like Everyone's a Manager, so I figured I start it. The moderators can merge it into something else if they want, or change the subject title.

I had the privilege of meeting with coach Michel during the team's stay in NJ for the ICC. I spoke with him for about 10-15 minutes, and was very happy with his managerial approach and mentality. He loves to work with young, talented, and hungry players, and shies away from the "Divas". I told him that its really hard to change the Olympiakos fan mentality of wanting the Big Name player because that's what we were taught all these years, but that it seems like this season he got Marinakis on the same page with him, and as long as he continues the good work, and Olympiakos has even more successes, he will definitely have a positive impact on the fans, and their mentality. I mean just look at our performance in the ICC, without a starting LW, and a starting ST! It goes to show that we have to trust Michel's plan. He is big on personality, and does not mind having star players like Abidal, Saviola, Afellay because they are easy to work with. They are team players, and that's the concept he is trying to instill on Olympiakos. I was happy with what I had to hear from coach Michel, and that is why you didn't see me writing a lot on the transfer rumors topic.

Now on to the squad. If you take a look at last season's team, you will see that we had a significant decrease in production after the win at home vs Man U, or after our elimination from the Champions League. You heard things like "we ran out of gas", "we had no more motivation to play, since we had already won the title" etc. I don't think that is true. I think the real reason for our decline in production was the like of pure strikers and wingers. Just look at our squad in the 2nd half of the season. There was no Mitroglou or Weiss, then Olaitan had the scare with his health, and even Saviola was injured for a period of time. We had signed Perez and Valdez, but Perez was more of a bulldog type player, that was great defensively, and Valdez was far from his good self. We were really hurting up front, and teams knew that, and capitalized on that by closing down on Campbell, and not allowing us to move the ball with ease. To me, that was the real reason for our decline, and why I was really hoping for at least 2 additions on the wings, and 2 strikers.
So the offseason came, and early on we saw players like Ghazarian and Kolovos being added to our squad. Nobody knew Ghazarian, and everyone, including myself started to question the team's moves. What I didn't question though is the fact that the team knew what it needed. Ghazarian and Kolovos are wingers that know the position, can create, and score, and while they were signed primarily as back-ups, we would now have some depth at that position. Then came the signings of Dossevi and Afellay as starting wingers, and my "request" for a packed lineup on the wings was granted. We also signed 2 promising wing backs in Masuaku and Elabdelaoui, that can also play as attacking wingers. They are young players, that will be backups to Salino and Holevas (Glad that he is staying). At CB, we saw that Marcano didn't really please with his performances, and his price was really high, so we made the move for Abidal. A proven player, a champion of all sorts, that can provide leadership and experience to the backline. In addition, with Manolas pending departure, we brought in Botia as his replacement. Now, we once again have a loaded CB line with Avraam, Abidal, Botia, Siovas, and Avlonitis.
One of the other positions I put an emphasis on was the CM/AM position. Dominguez was great for us last season, but when he was not in the lineup, his absence was surely felt. I wanted to see us sign a player that can play alongside Dominguez, and also replace him when needed. So we signed Kasami and Fortunis. I was honeslty expecting a more experienced player than Kasami, but I understood the move as he has a lot of upside, and would also not have to be a starter in every game, as a higher paid, more experienced player would want.
As I mentioned above, my other main concern was the ST position. I knew that either Diamantakos or Papazoglou would earn a roster spot, but I wanted 2 additional strikers that can perform at a high level. The first striker, we found out early on, was Pulido. I liked the move, and expected the 2nd striker to be the big move of the summer. Whether it was the "cheaper" and safer option with Mitroglou returning, or a more expensive addition like Finbogason, Pelle, Vossen or Mario Gomez, I expected a move like that. It didn't happen, and we signed Benitez from Paraguay, who seems to also be a Michel signing. That's really my only question mark going into the season, but I have trust in our coach, and his ability to judge talent.

Overall, I think we have had a successful offseason, and it has the potential of being the best or one of the best ever, if our moves pay off.

Projected Final Roster for 2014 - 2015:

GK: Roberto
GK: Megyeri
GK: Houtetsiotis
RB: Salino
RB: Elabdelaoui
CB: Papadopoulos
CB: Abidal
CB: Botia
CB: Siovas
LB: Holevas
LB: Masuaku
DM: Maniatis
DM: N'Dinga
DM: Bouchalakis
CM: Kasami
CM: Samaris
RW: Dossevi
RW: Fortunis (He is more of a AM/CF, but I refuse to put Fuster on the wing lol)
LW: Afellay
LW: Ghazarian
AM/CF: Dominguez
AM/CF: Saviola
AM/CF: Fuster
ST: Benitez
ST: Pulido
ST: Diamantakos
ST: Olaitan

Kolovos, Avlonitis and Yatabare will go on loan.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:42:27 PM by Attilio »

Kozani5

Re: Olympiakos Roster Analysis/Proposals
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:10:50 PM »
Interesting point about Dominguez.

Imo having a playmaker off the bench is a huge advantage, as we saw even a half-fit Ibagaza in the twilight of his career could come on and improve the team. Honestly how many games did he come on and change in the last 2 years all while being in and out of the treatment room.

Finding somebody like that, not necesarilly to play alongside Dominguez bc I believe we currently have that, but to replace him and be the guy playing the through-balls incase he gets injured is something we haven't gotten.

If he is injured for CL i will be definately worried, but Michel stated the team does not depend on one player, I hope he is right and others like Samaris step up in the CM.

Antegeia7

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
Dossevi and Kasami can possibly play that role, as well as Fortunis. Another option is to play with a CF and a ST, and have the 8ari (Kasami) create. So we have some options, but no proven ones at that position. Hopefully Dominguez stays healthy all year, and has a great season for us.

Inferno7

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
There is a good possibility that Manolas, Samaris, Holebas  and Maniatis may be missing from this roster before The end of August .
As for Kolovos , I know he hasn't had the best off season with us but I rate him ahead of Fortounis. The kid can play , he just needs to relax and not play with pressure.
ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ ΔΕΝ ΓΙΝΕΣΑΙ.......ΓΕΝΝΙΕΣΑΙ
Mονο περηφάνια  νοιωθω που γεννηθηκα ΟΛΥΜΠΙΑΚΟΣ

G7oz

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:17:56 PM »
Surely there is replacements lined up in the case that these players leave? I think regardless of the Manolas sale or not we will not be getting another CB, but losing any of the other three you mentioned would hurt us significantly
Xoris mialo afou to exasa kai afto
me tin arrostia pou'xo me ton Olympiako
tha zo tha zo me ena oneiro trelo
o Thrylos na sikosi to evropaiko!

Red Spartan

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 07:58:38 PM »
I agree with Inferno... I also rate Kolobos ahead of Fortounis

I don't believe though that if the other 3 leave it hurts us as signifigantly as you may think G7oz

Holebas and Manwlas for sure will hurt us.... Manwlas moreso than Jose imo

If this matsuzaka character is the player weve seen in preseason, I think he could fill in nicely for Holebas (although id much rather Jose stay, hes a straight baller and proven)

Maniatis, well there are plenty of players with little technique but have stamina and lungs to track down everything and break up opposing attacks

As for Samaris, I really like this player but Kasami looks the goods..... Both of them in the same midfield would be great

Antegeia7

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:59:43 AM »
Seems like Samaris is headed to Benfica, and Manolas to Roma. It sucks, but it's a lot of money, and I guess you cannot say no to those kind of offers. Hopefully Maniatis and Holevas stay because it's really hard to find replacements for them. We also need to keep a good amount of our core players, and not just sell everyone lol.
There are also a lot of rumors that we will be signing Jimmy Durmaz, which means that Kolovos will most likely be going out on loan. Michel really likes Kolovos, and I believe he can become a great winger for us, but I think coach wants him to go on loan for one more season, get his minutes and experience, and come back ready to go next season.

Kozani5

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 08:39:37 PM »
I agree regarding Maniatis and Holebas.

Maniatis at this point is the starting DM. I personally rate him above N'Dinga.  I have yet to see Diop but the way the recent African CMs have panned out i am cynically pessimistic. Maniatis is the more accomplished player on the surface.

Now what to do with all these wingers?    Fuster out would be my first move. He hasn't been effective ever since Mitro left and he isn't a winger. Those 2 had a phenomenal understanding.

Kolovos will probably be loaned. He is probably the second one out.

And third, probably be Saviola. As a second striker I feel Diamantakos has out shown him and with Benetiz coming in I do not see his role either.

alexocfp

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:37:44 AM »
The squad is solid this year.  Its crazy the names that were left out of the 18 this week. 

The CL list is going to be a bloodbath this year.

scarface125

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
Except for the hole that will be created with the departure of Manolas. We might be able to get away with it in super league, but his absense might come back to haunt us in champions league. Unless there's a "plan B", cause Botia is no Manolas.

gavros7

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 07:13:00 AM »
IMO with Abidal, Siova, Botia and Avraam you're covered for CL and the SL...I honestly believe that Manwlas will not leave a huge hole...the key for me is the midfield and the defensive play of the entire team..when I see Benitez sliding and making tackles to steal the ball up top, then I am at ease and know we will be just fine..our defense was good pre Manwlas and will be just fine post Manwla

scarface125

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »
I agree with our defensive midfielders, as a matter of fact they are key,Manolas or no Manolas. But I'm not convinced with Avraam. He is not the same player he was. He has to find a way to get back there, but first is an attitude tweak. As for Botia? I'm hoping he turns out to be a pleasant suprise because the jury will be out on him till we play those high pressure games and see how he handles them.

alexocfp

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »
The Current Squad from the official site:

42 Balázs Attila Megyeri (GOALKEEPER)
    Giorgos Strezos (GOALKEEPER)
33 Lefteris Choutesiotis (GOALKEEPER)
16 Roberto Jiménez Gago (GOALKEEPER)
 2 Ioannis Maniatis (DEFENDER)
21 Avraam Papadopoulos (DEFENDER)
23 Dimitris Siovas (DEFENDER)
    Gaëtan Bong (DEFENDER)
15 Omar Elabdellaoui (DEFENDER)
 3 Alberto Botia (DEFENDER)
29 Praksitelis Vouros (DEFENDER)
22 Éric Abidal (DEFENDER)
30 Salino Do Carmo Leandro (DEFENDER)
    Konstantinos Vlachos (DEFENDER)
    Vítor Hugo Gomes Passos (Pelé) (MIDFIELDER)
67 Antonis Vatousiadis (DEFENDER)
    Claude Dielna (DEFENDER)
90 Tasos Avlonitis (DEFENDER)
26 Arthur Masuaku (DEFENDER)
20 Jose Lloyd Cholevas (DEFENDER)
    Jimmy Durmaz (MIDFIELDER)
77 Matthieu Dossevi (MIDFIELDER)
11 Pajtim Kasami (MIDFIELDER)
 6 Ibrahim Afellay (MIDFIELDER)
25 Kostas Fortounis (MIDFIELDER)
18 Andreas Mpouchalakis (MIDFIELDER)
    Katai Aleksandar (MIDFIELDER) (going on loan to Veria)
    Ibrahim Abdisalam (MIDFIELDER)
 8 Delvin N'Dinga (MIDFIELDER)
    Sambou Yatabaré (MIDFIELDER)
10 Alejandro Damián Domínguez (MIDFIELDER)
    Climaco Pinto Leandro (MIDFIELDER)
12 Dimitris Kolovos (MIDFIELDER) (going in loan to Panionios)
55 Gevorg Ghazaryan (MIDFIELDER)
19 David Fuster Torrijos (MIDFIELDER)
 9 Javier Pedro Saviola Fernandez (STRIKER)
17 Dimitris Diamantakos (STRIKER)
99 Olaitan Oyeneye Michael (STRIKER)
    Panagiotis Vlachodimos (STRIKER)
28 Nikos Vergos (STRIKER)
27 Jorge Daniel Benítez (STRIKER)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:20:18 AM by alexocfp »

gavros7

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »
didn't know where else to post this....

Afellay, Durmaz, Kasami all got called up for the NT!! great news especially for Afellay, this should pump him up a lot for the season!!

paragka kai ekei allo8ryskoi??

scarface125

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
^^^^Was thinking the same thing when I read this report. Afellay's move to Olympiacos is paying off already as his career is turning for the positive. Hopefully this motivates him even further.