November 22, 2019, 10:38:28 AM

Author Topic: Olympiacos Roster Analysis / Proposals  (Read 48683 times)

scarface125

Re: Olympiakos Roster Analysis/Proposals
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »
Most of our roster will be missing for national duties. Just shows the quality Olympiacos has assembled.

*** Imo Roberto has shown incredibly well to at least warrant a look with Spains national team.   

Red Spartan

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 04:36:37 PM »
^^he was 4th choice last season I think....

alexocfp

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 12:16:16 PM »
I may be speaking prematurely here, seeing that there is one day remaining until the transfer deadline, but I cannot lie, I do not like how the transfer window has ended.

First of all there are too many loans.  If Mitroglu finds his old scoring form, he wont be able to build on it as he will be going back to Fulham.  There should never be loans that don't come with options to purchase.  I dont care who it is, that is only a shortsighted and quick fix solution.  Loans do not allow cohesion.  Like with Campbell.  He had a great season but we don't have him this season.  I want players that will be here for the long haul, or can be sold later.  Also, we just signed a young striker for 4.5 million.  He probably will be on the bench all season now.  And Pulido will be joining him soon.  Where is he going to play?  And Sceptovic never got a real shot either and is now out on loan.

Secondly, we sell your best central defender and do not get anyone to replace him.  We only have 3 veteran central defenders on the squad, Botia, Papadopoulos, and Abidal.  One of them is coming off a serious knee injury and another has had a history of health issues.  We need to have at least 2 more ready central defenders.

Diop should have been signed in one day.  Forget negotiations, give them 4-5 million and get the player.  If we want to take the next step, sometimes we need to overpay.  We didn't even need to spend extra funds because the Samaris transfer covers everything.  This should not have dragged on this long to end with no transfer.

I hope I read this post tomorrow night and laugh when everything above was addressed before the deadline. 

Antegeia7

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »
There has been a lot of negativity towards Olympiakos' front office from a number of fans, for the way this transfer period came to an end, so I wanted to write my own opinion and analysis to see if the negativity/criticism is deserving or not.

First off let me talk about the Holevas and Avraam situations. I have a feeling that the majority of the criticism is because of the departure of these 2 players at the end of the transfer period. Holevas was in Michel's doghouse for a while. He didn't have the best of relationships with the coach, and he had asked for a transfer from early in the transfer period. It sucks that he left, but we brought in Masuaku and Giannoulis to make up for his departure. While Holevas was in Michel's doghouse, the real surprise came from the departure of Avraam. I don't even think Michel expected him to basically get up and leave because he was on the bench for the first 2 games of the season. I understand why Avraam would be upset, especially after having a really good pre-season/training camp, but I don't agree with his decision to leave, especially on the last day of the transfer window. A captain that has had the front office's support through thick and thin, who got a crazy extension even though he was injured, and missed a whole season, would not do that to his team. That was not a professional move by him, and I also think he is the only transfer this season, that was not a "Michel decision".

Speaking of "Michel Decisions", this team is Michel's team, meaning that he has advised to all the transfers, and has formed the team the way he wants it (with the exception of Avraam's departure). Obviously if it were up to Michel, he would have kept Manolas and Samaris, but the offers that they brought to the table were too high for us to decline. Just imagine that Arsenal wanted 12 million euro for Campbell, and we sold Manolas for 15.5 million, and Samaris for 10 million!!! The rest of the moves (departures and arrivals) were all decided by Michel, and I tend to agree with them. Lets analyze the roster from last season, compared to the one this season:

GK: Roberto, Megyeri, Houtetsiotis (No issues here. We are pretty much the same as last season)

RB: Salino, Elabdelaoui (We are better this season. Torres, Papazoglou departed)

LB: Masuaku, Giannoulis (I would say we were better last season b/c of Holevas. Masuaku has shown a lot of quality, and Giannoulis is better than Bong, but they will have to prove their worth over the course of the season. For now, we will go with last seasons duo in Holevas and Bong)

CB(R): Botia, Avlonitis (Another question mark here. 2 new players that are replacing Manolas and Avraam. For now, I will say that last season's duo was better)

CB(L): Abidal, Siovas (We are better this season)

DM: Maniatis, N'Dinga, Bouchalakis (Pretty much the same as last season)

CDM: Kasami, Milivojevic (Same or better this season. Samaris and Machado departed)

RW: Durmaz, Dossevi (Better than last season overall. Campbell departed)

LW: Afellay, Ghazarian (Better than last season. Weiss and Perez departed)

AM/CF: Dominguez, Fuster, Fortunis (Same as last year. Saviola departed)

ST: Mitroglou, Benitez, Diamantakos, Olaitan (Better than last year. Valdez departed)

So overall we have a better, and more deeper squad than last season. Everyone claimed that Olympiakos ran out of gas in mid February, and that the players had no motivation etc. I don't think that is correct. We just didn't have any players left on the wings, and up front. Just think about it. When Mitroglou left, we had Olaitan, Saviola and an unfit Valdez up front. None of them were pure strikers. Then Olaitan had the health scare, and Saviola got injured, and we were left with Valdez. Campbell was alone on the wings. Yes we had Perez, but he was more of a defensive minded winger, than an attacking winger, and it was easy for teams to defend us. Now we have Afellay, Ghazarian, Durmaz, and Dossevi on the wings....All have great attacking skills and speed, and great goal scorers in Mitroglou, Benitez, Diamantakos, Olaitan up front. The only question marks for me are at LCB, and LB. Not that we don't have the players to step up and take over for the ones that departed at those positions, but they are unknown to us, so that's scary. Overall though, I like the moves we made, and feel like we need to give Michel and the team a chance. They have earned it!!!

alexocfp

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »
^^ I agree, the squad overall is deeper and better than last season's.

alexocfp

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 10:04:30 AM »
I may be speaking prematurely here, seeing that there is one day remaining until the transfer deadline, but I cannot lie, I do not like how the transfer window has ended.

First of all there are too many loans.  If Mitroglu finds his old scoring form, he wont be able to build on it as he will be going back to Fulham.  There should never be loans that don't come with options to purchase.  I dont care who it is, that is only a shortsighted and quick fix solution.  Loans do not allow cohesion.  Like with Campbell.  He had a great season but we don't have him this season.  I want players that will be here for the long haul, or can be sold later.  Also, we just signed a young striker for 4.5 million.  He probably will be on the bench all season now.  And Pulido will be joining him soon.  Where is he going to play?  And Sceptovic never got a real shot either and is now out on loan.

Secondly, we sell your best central defender and do not get anyone to replace him.  We only have 3 veteran central defenders on the squad, Botia, Papadopoulos, and Abidal.  One of them is coming off a serious knee injury and another has had a history of health issues.  We need to have at least 2 more ready central defenders.

Diop should have been signed in one day.  Forget negotiations, give them 4-5 million and get the player.  If we want to take the next step, sometimes we need to overpay.  We didn't even need to spend extra funds because the Samaris transfer covers everything.  This should not have dragged on this long to end with no transfer.

I hope I read this post tomorrow night and laugh when everything above was addressed before the deadline. 

After thinking about my post, I have to say that I may have overreacted a bit.  Diop wasn't going to be sold because they could not find a replacement for him, Milivojevic came with an option to buy as well.

It comes down to the central defenders and the loan for mitro now.  As long as we have long term strikers next season it will be OK. 

The central defenders are the only real glaring weakness (on paper).  On the flip side, they were both starters on La Liga sides so they aren't garbage. 

Anyway, what is done is done, this is the squad and I support it 100%.

Red Legacy

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 10:47:55 AM »
^^^

In my opinion we do have long term plans for the ST position. Their names are Diamantakos, Benitez, Olaitan.......

The thing we lacked going into this season was experience at that position. Hopefully the Mitro loan changes that. If he can find his form this season and Diamantakos and co. hit stride...we will be set next year and possibly make some money while we're at it.

gavros7

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »
^I agree..add to that list Poulido (whenever he finally joins us) and our long term plans are set..I think Benitez will be great in a few weeks..as long as we have creativity in the midfield and not NDinga+Maniati starting, then Benitez will have a heck of a season

p.s.  people are freaking out over losing one major starter from last season (Manwlas)..Samari was not a starter for the entire season and no one in their right mind would ever turn down that money..Same people who were cussing out Marinaki for bringing in the aektzi and axristo Manwla, the gataki from Paniwnio, etc...are the same idiots that are cussing out Marinak now for selling them!! h vazelopoihsh pou sas elega........
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:50:50 PM by gavros7 »

scarface125

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 12:30:18 AM »
^^^ Nicely said Gavro.

@ Antegeia. I like your breakdown of the rosters. I personally believe with Kasami patroling midfield we will be an improvement.

RED SHERIFF

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 05:44:38 AM »
The CD positions are much worse...  Not because we lost Avraam but because Manolas and Marcano are a better combo than Botia Abidal...

Avlonitis is terrible...

Giannoulis is very average....A lot is dependent on Mazauku.

I have no idea about the Serb from anderlecht?
Surprised to see Dossevi and fortounis left out of UCL..

At the end of the day....our opposition domestically is tragic....If we cop a hammering or two or three at Juve or Madrid or even Malmo then it will be seen as a poor squad...
Like last year I again have reservations as to the chemistry and to no on field leadership

gavros7

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 06:19:43 AM »
^tell us about our other lines as well

kalwsirthes sto pareaki mas..kai polu argises

Red Legacy

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
I don't get why Fortounis being left out of the squad is a surprise to you.

The kid hasn't played top fight football in almost 2 years?????????? What makes you think he's worth a spot on our 18 in CL? Dossevi is a head scratcher, but that goes to show how competitive this roster is.

In terms of raw skill, I wouldn't say we are "much" worse in the defense, but we for sure are gambling with the idea that the same cohesion will not be there. Don't forget, Siovas is back and I don't think Avlonitis is as bad as you think. Abidal's experience and skill will be fantastic alongside an in-form Siovas.

Red Spartan

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »
I think Abidal-Sovas will prove to be our best combo over the course of the season regardless that speed could be an issue with those 2...

Antegeia7

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I don't know if we will see that duo very often, as they are both left footed players. If we do see a duo of Siovas and Abidal, we will be the first team to have one :)

We will see them together when we play with 3 CB.

Axiotis91

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
anyone who comes on our squad gets called up always